“Put Kids First” Action Kit
Stop discrimination in foster care and adoption!
We need your help: across the country, recent “religious freedom” policies threaten to make it harder for children in foster care to find safe and loving homes.
This year has seen the introduction of state and federal legislation that expressly allows taxpayer-funded child welfare agencies to discriminate, based on their religious beliefs, against potential foster or adoptive parents.
Here’s how you can help stop this unconstitutional discrimination:
- Get informed: Currently, ten states have provisions that allow discrimination based on “religious freedom.” In response to these harmful measures, we’ve launched the Interfaith Coalition for Children’s Rights to organize grassroots efforts and oppose discrimination in foster care and adoption. Learn more about the Coalition here.
- Speak out: Tell your Senators and Representative to support the Every Child Deserves a Family Act! ECDF will prohibit federally funded child welfare agencies from discriminating based on religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, and marital status. Learn more about ECDF here.
- Tell your friends: Share this Action Kit with your friends. Click here to send a tweet that links to this Action Kit!
- Recommended reading: Find out here how Children’s Rights is helping LGBTQ young people who are over-represented in foster care and juvenile justice systems.
- Stay connected: Sign up for the Children’s Rights e-newsletter below. We’ll send you important action alerts related to stopping discrimination in foster care and adoption.